Monday, February 11, 2008

mental space

Yes, I did it again. Three-four days went by and I did not write. Now I'm sitting here wearing a grimace and a dunce cap, trying to slip into character while the phone rings and customers come and go. What I really need is a door.

I've been thinking to myself about private mental spaces - retreats - that writers go to when they're working. I'm building mine now, maybe you can visit me when it's done. Jo has a nice spot (See December 1st, 2007 post). Where do you go to block out the world?

2 comments:

Lindsay York Levack said...

Oh, I love Jo's mental space! Lovely! Can I come too?

Renée (R.E.) Chambliss said...

Oooh! Are you designing a metal space like Jo's? Can't wait to hear about it when it's done. :o)

I haven't created anything that elaborate. I have no official writing space either in reality or in my imagination, but there are a couple techniques I employ to try to get in the right frame of mind. Getting up early, helps. At that time of day, when everyone is asleep and I don't feel like I should be doing anything else--I can usually get into writing mode pretty easily.

And of course, there's Justin, or some other kind of music. Listening to music through ear phones plugged into my ipod or computer helps me block out all of the extraneous stuff. But I'm guessing, based on what you've said before, that music wouldn't work for you. ;o)