Thursday, January 29, 2009

The next long weekend is WHEN?

At some point earlier this week it occurred to me that the next time I have two days off in one week will be Easter weekend. In freaking April. This realization made my steps slow and heavy, and all my enthusiasm crept away to hide somewhere warm. I started scowling at the phone when it rang, instead of picking it up with a smile. I started leaning on my desk, face smooshed in my palm. I felt completely overwhelmed.

You have to figure this out, I told myself as I drove home through yet another snowstorm. You can't just give up and hire someone. You have a plan. You have to do this yourself. Make it work, dammit.

Susan talked the other day about things we have to keep learning in life, and I know one of mine is the importance of regular exercise. I know I always feel better when I'm active.

But I don't want to, I thought at 11:04 pm as I sat on the edge of the bed, contemplating the alarm clock. I know it will probably help, but I don't want to get up early to work out. (Yes, it was that whiny.)

And so I didn't.

But then school was cancelled, which meant I didn't have to make BamBam's lunch or be on hand to harass him through the Getting Ready process. I put my body on the elliptical trainer and said: Now. Go.

Partway through my workout, I realized that DH had awoken and was just laying there, watching my behind.

Showered and dressed, I made my way to the kitchen, to find said husband putting the finishing touches on a monster-sized salad for my lunch. And that's when it hit me.

I'm not doing this on my own. I haven't been. There's this man, who works in the rec room at night, who takes care of the house and the kids, who puts gas and windshield fluid in my car, who cooks my dinner and loves me from the most unflattering angles. And makes me a salad, because it's good for me and because I look like I might be on a health kick today.

The exercise helped, but so did the reminder that I do have him. He really is a treasure. We're doing this together, and we're going to be fine. We're going to make it work. And, he reminds me, there's nothing stopping me from closing the store on a Saturday - Just Because.

6 comments:

Susan Adrian said...

Aw. VERY nice. I love those reminders. :)

Cindy said...

Hi Suze!

Yes, I forget sometimes.

(S)

Lindsay York Levack said...

Cindy,
Your husband is awesome!

I'm so sorry Family Day isn't a stat. People forget that. Maybe you should take the day off any way. Lots of places will be closed. I hate that Easter is so far away. :op

Good for you for exercising! I need to get my butt moving again. The cold & snow have kept me house-bound for too long.

So, have you had enough snow yet? *g,d&r*

Cindy said...

Hi Lindsay!

Damn snow, we're getting walloped right now. Looks like a foot or so on the way by suppertime. I might just take the afternoon off.

He is wonderful.(G) Makes good Chinese food, too!

Nova Scotia only has 5 stat holidays a year - the least of any province. (grump)

Renée (R.E.) Chambliss said...

Hi Cindy-

I'm sorry you're so overwhelmed, but I'm SO glad you have such a good support system. Hope things settle down soon. (I feel like I always say the same things to you, and it's been awhile since I've commented!)

Take care,

Renee

Cindy said...

Hi Renee:

Thank you.

It seems likely that you always give the the same good advice because I always seem to be complaining about the same stuff. (cough) I do have a good life, thanks in no small part to my hubby!