Friday, August 18, 2006

Lead me not into oblivion

Well, I turned on my computer at 10 pm last night, I checked a few blogs, then I turned it off and went to bed. I just couldn't, too tired. I was supposed to make some notes on the new, emerging structure for JUNIPER, detail story problems and character motivations, maybe make an outline. I have to decide whether I want to salvage the 53K I've got, or if I ought to start over from scratch. Writing FOR KEEPS, I've learned that I'm a bit better than I was five years ago, (cough), so I just might clip out a few of the scenes I think are the best, and rewrite. It's not the writing that took five years, after all, it was the learning and getting stuck and rewriting and learning some more. I think this story is still alive, and I'm not ready to let it go, but I need to shake these people up. They're as bored as I am.

So, last night wasn't the six hours of uninterrupted zzz's I was hoping for. I was up five times, and awake from 3 until 4:30, so tonight's not looking like prime writing terrain either. Maybe a good night to snuggle on the couch with that man I've been feeding for ten years (next month) and finish watching The Fog. So far, it's disappointing, but it might get better.

2 comments:

Susan Adrian said...

Cindy:

[I just might clip out a few of the scenes I think are the best, and rewrite]

This is exactly what I did with TMT. After my 2-year life break I started over at the beginning writing anew, and only ended up incorporating a few scenes, really. Most of the plot changed utterly. I kept the same characters, but the rest....pffft!

Cindy said...

Dear Susan:

2 year life break? Where do I sign up for that? {G}

As always, it's good to hear that it can be done - any which way - as long as you don't give up.