Thursday, December 07, 2006

T'is the season

I've just gotta tell you all (especially Sara, she'll get it) that I just made my very first ever butter tarts and THOSE BABIES ARE PERFECT!!!!

They didn't overflow or burn and the pastry is golden, crispy heaven. The insides aren't runny, or tootoo sweet. (S)

Preheat the oven to 325.

you'll need either store-bought pastry shells (I've always found those to be too greasy, but maybe the ones in your 'hood are better) or you can make whatever pastry recipe you normally use (mine's on the Sno-Flake bucket) Roll it thin, and use approximately 4" rounds in your muffin tins.

The filling:
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
pecans, a few handfuls

So, spray your muffin tins and pat the pastry in, and scatter some pecan pieces in the bottom of each. Cream together the other ingredients and spoon over the pecans, no more than half full. Bake 20-25 minutes, watch out, they can burn easily.

I don't know how many pastry shells you'll need, I had enough pastry for 19 but the filling would have made maybe two dozen. Luckily, the filling will keep in the fridge for a few days. These ones aren't going to make it to the freezer, I'll have to make them again.

2 comments:

Mrs. Mitty said...

Mmmm...sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing and congrats on having them come out perfect!! :)

Unknown said...

Nice! My great-grandmother used to make the best buttertarts, so I've been reluctant to even attempt them, but recently I've been thinking I need to do it. Thanks for recipe and the kick in the pants!