Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Something lost is always found...

...it may not look the same.

This is my favourite song lyric right now.  It comes a Hayley Sales song - the title track on her new album - When the Bird Became a Book.  There is no YouTube video for it, but you should go listen.  It's a cheerful ditty about perspective and I listen to it about fourteen times a day right now, because it is still effing raining.   

Anyway.  Something lost is always found, it may not look the same.  But some things have to change.
Quite apart from what this means to me as a mother, it also has meaning to me as a writer.

I mentioned that I started writing YA Fantasy all of a sudden, and it was a lot of fun because you get to do whatever the heck it is you want to do.  And then I thought, well Cindy, you know your OTHER stories are fiction too, such as the ghost story you are trying to avoid.  And then I wondered why on earth I should feel imaginitively restricted writing paranormal fiction.  That makes no sense (even for me.) 

So what was lost has now been found.  For all the staring I have done at my screen, the gnashing of teeth and organizing of index cards, it slipped my mind that I am actually in charge of this story.  If I'm bored, likely the reader will as well.  What's even more important: I want the kind of writing life that pushes me creatively.  Not just in terms of discipline and arse-glue and word count, outline, POV.  I need it to be fun.

So, my lost has been found.  Chances are I'll still labour over the development of my MCs relationships, and I'll have to figure out what happened to that sister-in-law who hasn't shown up anywhere since the second scene.  I think, though, that I have gained some insight as to why my ghost has been standing there with her arms crossed all this time.  Girlfriend is bored. 

5 comments:

Danica-Dragonfly said...

HA! My word capture is "FOCKE" I don't know why I find that so funny, but I do.

You make me smile, Cindy ... it is very enlightening to read your experiences with writing this story. As usual, your commitment to your project outweighs mine 10 fold. I look at all of the work and effort you are putting into this ... and all I can think is: well ... I guess I'll NEVER write anything resembling a book, because I am simply not this committed. I suppose the more things change, the more they stay the same, hey? Reminds me of the commercial we did for Ms Levy Purdy in grade ... was it 9?

I know you will persevere ... because of your commitment. Girlfriend won't be bored for long.

Hang in there ... we have "brightness" here in the Valley today ... I'll see about sending some your way!

Cindy said...

Hi Dani,
You leave me the nicest comments!

We did get some sun yesterday, planted the annuals that have been languishing in their cardboard cups lo these many weeks. And the Boy fell out of a tree, acquiring a very fancy scrape about 10" long on his belly. *sigh* His sister never lets him win anything, so no doubt she'll break a bone or something, now.

I don't remember the commercial, but who could forget Ms. LP? She was great.

Deniz Bevan said...

You're right - sometimes we have to relearn this multiple times. As I keep editing, I keep having to remind myself of it, that I'm the one meant to be shaping the story - why am I worried about what might happen when I'm the one making it happen?

Cindy said...

Hi Deniz!

Did I see somewhere that you're done?

I find I also worry about the scenarios I choose. I need to relax and tell a story. Instead, I feel like I have to tell the BEST POSSIBLE story, and I get in my own way. I do that a lot.

Deniz Bevan said...

Aww, thanks Cindy - I wish I was done! Well, the drafting is. Now I'm mired in editing/revisions...