Thursday, November 10, 2011

Progress. And then not.

I've been training a new assistant for about two months now.  My shop is a complex beast filled with gizmos, thingies, whatsits and hoojits - and before I can walk out that door during retail hours, I need a somebody I can trust to talk to people about all that stuff.  Computers, you know.  Shit happens.

We reached the point where I could relax a bit.  The other day I even left two hours before the store closed - 2 hours!  I went home and cooked supper and then I went to parent teacher conferences.  Woot!  But I felt like a real mom.  I felt like I was getting to where I need to be - a place where I can span that space between work and home with a balance that feels more natural.  More me.

And today she quit.  Dammit, I liked her.  It wasn't the job - she's decide to move back home to another province.

So I did what I do.  I called my husband.
"Aw, shit."  He said.  And then: "Well, post your ad."
"What's the point?"  This is the third time I've needed to hire a new assistant THIS YEAR.  It's a soul-draining process that involves me wasting a lot of paper and disappointing a whole bunch of people.
"Don't go there," he said.  "Just start again.  Keep moving forward."

Keep moving forward.

So that's what I shall do.  Those of you waiting for me to read, this won't make me any faster, I'm sorry!  But I'm on it.

As for my own writing, I think I'm forging a place for that which can exist outside everything else.  I am finding that I can retreat into this story in a way I haven't been able to in my previous WIPs.  Maybe it's just more alive to me, somehow.  Maybe this story is The One.

You know.  The One I'll actually finish!

In the meantime, I have some...uh...stuff to look after.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No! Oh, I'm so sorry. Oh, boy.

Please don't worry about reading for me. I've added a new chapter one, anyway.

Okay, off to send you an email.

Deniz Bevan said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. When I was working at Second Cup through university, a few months after I started they introduced a system where they gave us all employee numbers based on when we'd joined. I was #7 or #13 or so when they started the system. By the time I left, 2.5 years later, they were almost in the 300s - I'd seen over 250 people come and go!