Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Progress of Women

Wonderful co-worker took a call yesterday, from a woman. The customer seemed to have a question, and had finally begun to say what it was, when she interrupted herself to say:

"I'm sorry, I'm just a little confused, I expected a man to answer. And you guys were highly recommended. But anyway…"

Raised eyebrows all around, lady. Geez.

Of course we get that around here, but usually from men. And even among the men, it's usually those of a certain age, or who come from cultures that value men above women. One of *those* men once asked me for lower pricing, and when I refused, insisted to speak with my Dad. (Who is a mechanical engineer, and cares not how much I charge for floppy diskettes in my computer store.) I have always regretted not putting him though, anyway.

"Ya, Dad? There's someone here who wants to talk to you."

No comments: