Friday, September 21, 2007

Repeat after me: It's OK to suck. (Renee)

I hope. 'Cause that's what I'm doing right now. It's been at least a few weeks since I wrote anything, so what was I expecting? I know, I know.

So, there's an idea that I'm playing with, and so far, so good. I wrote 1000 words the first day, 200 yesterday. This morning I woke up and realized (in the same moment, I love when that happens) that I'm starting in the wrong place - a year too soon. And so it flows from there. 500 new words today, and counting.

And to support my habit, I'm making some changes to my priorities.

I've been focused on my company, which needed to happen. I've been a really, really good computer girl. A super manager, an excellent clerk. A good mother when I'm actually home. A decent wife, though my husband did wonder out loud in my hearing whether he ought to buy some of that AXE body spray.(S)

But I haven't been any sort of writer at all, and that matters too. To be honest, I think the break has actually done me some good. It's true that all these other things are important, and I've been able, in the crunch, to preserve most of the things about me that I like. What I'm going to do is let the filing slide a bit, maybe let the office get a little (gasp!) messy. I can't help it if I have to stop and serve customers. But one thing I have learned is that you can't wait for perfect circumstances, that'll never happen. Cram it in, writers, wherever you can.

3 comments:

Renée (R.E.) Chambliss said...

Oh, Cindy! I can't believe I'm only now seeing this! Are we living parallel lives or something?

Well, not really, you have so much more going on than I do, but that whole tricky question of balance. It's SO hard to give everything adequate attention. And then when you do carve out some writing time, you have to overcome all of those writing-related obstacles--like sometimes it doesn't come easily. (Often, in my case.)

But the other thing I have to keep reminding myself, is that any progress I can make moves me forward, even if it's slower than plate techtonics.

Keep on doing what you can!

Cindy said...

The few hundred words here and there doesn't feel like much, does it? I look to Susan for inspiration on that.

Still want to do the Artist's Way, but haven't been quite able to work it in yet.

Anonymous said...

Well said.