Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Great Big Books

If you're like me, then depending on the day, a massive novel looks like either chocolate fudge and a bubblebath or a three year calculus course. I started one yesterday, it's called Aztec, by Gary Jennings.

"Ah, well," I thought, "If I like the main character I'll stick it out." And so far, I do like the guy. The story is engaging, the historical detail is captivating, and there's humour. And pain. So I think I'll hang in there for now, even if the mc's superb command of the english language does seem a trifle unlikely.

It makes me wonder, though, how other people feel when they pick up a huge book. Do you feel anticipation, or dread? It would depend on whether you already know and trust the author, to some degree. So, when you're faced with a REALLY big book, what else affects your decision to invest, or not?

4 comments:

Susan Adrian said...

Cindy:

Oh, man. Warning, warning.

You said you didn't really like tragedies, right? Well, that one I had to put down in the middle because it has a tragedy so painful--and so shudder-worthy disgusting, to boot--that I simply could not stand it anymore and vowed never to read a book of his again. So...um. Make sure you're ready for it, I guess, and that you want that sort of book right now?

Cindy said...

Oh.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm really *not* in the mood for a heartbreak right now, or anything too disgusting. I think I'll put it down, at least for now.

In fact, I'm on page 62 or so, and I was starting to feel like it's just too much description and too little action. Trouble is, I don't know what I'm in the mood for. The weather's getting colder, I want to snuggle up with something. (G)

Susan Adrian said...

Cindy:

Well, I just started this one, and it's fun so far. Very light, but still great for those of us who love Jane Austen and Mr. Darcy. Oh, and it's dedicated to Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. {g}

Cindy said...

Hi Susan:

That looks good.

Have you read any Mary Balough? I've started one called SLIGHTLY MARRIED, it's the first one I've seen, but I won't hesitate to read anything else of hers. Light and fluffy. (s)